Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tokyo! Tokyo!


Art Space Tokyo features neighbourhoods and figures of art spaces in Tokyo as well as suggested routes. I love such alternative travel guides because they introduce another perspective to view a city other than the typical tourist suggestions. When I was in Tokyo I chanced upon the Tokyo Guide - Tokyo by Tokyo - by Claska several times and my regret is I did not purchase it.



In the book, creative locals suggest their favourite places to visit and chill. It's bilingual and what's cool is that it's linked to googlemaps to provide an interactive experience in planning your journey.

Speaking of Hotel Claska, I definitely want to stay there the next time I visit Tokyo. It seemed quite far from the main areas but then the last time we were there after rambling through the streets of Meguro and Daikenyama, which are more interesting than the main shopping belts (after the first time you're in Tokyo), the distance doesn't seem so great.




image source 1, image source 2

Recently the hotel has collaborated with several designers to conceptualise rooms called D.I.Y. rooms under the scheme Claska 2nd Renewal and my favourite is Room 707. It's designed by Kaname Okajima, a previous product designer at Idee Co. Ltd, one of my favourite shops in Tokyo, called 'Scar', where discarded items as if picked from a warehouse, are artfully given a new lease of life and rendered into beautiful usable objects and decorations for the room.



If you're in Shibuya be sure to check out their first store selling items made in Japan - I would! There's also a shop/gallery in the hotel.




we can never get enough of Tokyo can we. + + +

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails